Monday, April 11, 2011

Sonnet 292

The eyes I spoke of once in words that burn, the arms and hands and feet and lovely face that took me from myself for such a space of time and marked me out from other men; the waving hair of unmixed gold that shone, the smile that flashed with the angelic rays that used to make this earth a paradise, are now a little dust, all feeling gone; and yet I live, grief and disdain to me, left where the light I cherished never shows, in fragile bark on the tempestuous sea. Here let my loving song come to a close; the vein of my accustomed art is dry, and this, my lyre, turned at last to tears.


  • This poem is about a man who has either lost his loved one or they parted ways. He uses imagery throughout the sonnet to convey his breaking heart as well as the world crumbling around him. He is so depressed there is nothing in his world that could possibly cheer him up besides his lost love. Basically he is lost without love and he ends his poem with tears.

0 Comments: